Sunday, July 18, 2010

more Pico Iyer

I first encountered Pico Iyer in a crossword puzzle... the clue was something related to travel.

Back in my crossword puzzle phase (I would try to solve the daily crosswords in the Philippine Daily Inquirer), I would make it a point to always check my answers/fill in the empty boxes using the answer key in the following day's paper. This familiarized me with the usual crossword puzzle words, which in turn helped improve my crossword stats. (I stopped crosswords after I finally solved one in full, and when sudoku started gaining popularity. :D)

The next time I came across Pico Iyer was in a travel-related essay where the writer quoted him.

Pico Iyer is a travel writer. I haven't read any of his writings, except for an essay entitled "Why we travel" published online in Salon.com. The first few sentences...

"We travel, initially, to lose ourselves; and we travel, next, to find ourselves. We travel to open our hearts and eyes and learn more about the world than our newspapers will accommodate. We travel to bring what little we can, in our ignorance and knowledge, to those parts of the globe whose riches are differently dispersed. And we travel, in essence, to become young fools again -- to slow time down and get taken in, and fall in love once more."

Read the whole essay here.

Good evening. :)

1 comment:

  1. the article reminds me of a quote from a movie on che guevara: "let the world change you, and you can change the world."

    ReplyDelete